Kansas City is a finalist to play host to several future NCAA championship events.
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star
The NCAA announced Wednesday that Kansas City is in the running for the Division I volleyball, wrestling, men’s soccer and women’s soccer tournaments.
Kansas City also is a finalist for the Division II football, men’s soccer and women’s soccer finals.
“Overall, we’re pleased,” said Cindy Smith, vice president of business and partner development for the Kansas City Sports Commission. “Being a finalist doesn’t mean we’ll get any of them, but I feel good about where we stand.”
The championships selection sites are for 2015 through 2018. The NCAA received 1,948 bids for 81 championships.
The winning sites will be announced on Dec. 11.
Wednesday, the NCAA announced that 150 cities from 39 states were chosen as finalists for 213 events. Cities could bid for one or more years of the same championship.
NCAA championship site finalists
• Men’s soccer: Kansas City, Cary, N.C., Houston, Philadelphia.
• Women’s soccer: Kansas City, San Antonio, College Station, Texas, San Jose, Portland, Ore., Jacksonville, Fla., Louisville, Boca Raton, Fla., Orlando, Cary, N.C., Santa Barbara.
• Volleyball: Kansas City, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Ohio, Louisville, Minneapolis, Omaha, Neb.
• Wrestling: Kansas City, New York, Louisville, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Oklahoma City
• Football: Kansas City, Florence, Ala., Bentonville, Ark.
• Men’s and women’s soccer: Kansas City, Louisville, Evans, Ga., Orlando, Pensacola, Fla.
To reach Blair Kerkhoff, call 816-234-4730 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him at twitter.com/BlairKerkhoff.