When Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza opens at 901 West 48th Street on Nov. 6, its crowning glory will be a rooftop restaurant overlooking the south Country Club Plaza area on one side and the hotels rooftop pool on the other.
By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star
Rosso (pronounced ROHS-soh), or red in Italian, will be a 4,000-square-foot modern Italian influenced restaurant with a touch of Mediterranean.
Menu items will include:
• Starters such as the foie gras torchon (cherry, cacao, burnt basil brioche, candied fennel and duck fat ice cream), steeped black mussels (garlic, baby tomatoes, goat cheese, Peroni beer and fresh herbs), and Kansas wagyu beef Carpaccio.
• Antipasti including parma prosciutto, duck breast prosciutto, marinated artichokes, and grilled baby fennel.
• Pizza/flatbreads including the Kansas City (barbecue beef brisket, smoked cheddar and spring onions), the salsiccia (house-made wild boar Italian sausage, roasted peppers and pecorino romano) and the funghi e prosciutto (Missouri harvested forest mushrooms, parma prosciutto and parmigiana reggiano).
• Pasta including gnocchi (grilled wild boar Italian sausage, roasted peppers and garlic, broccoli rabe, eggplant garlic chips and salami powder) and pescatore (spaghetti, clams, mussels, prawns, sea scallops, squid, garlic, red chiles and tomato fresca).
• Desserts will include house-made Nutella Moon Pie with hazelnut textures and bourbon.
Rosso also will have dry-aged Kansas City strip steak, citrus braised veal short ribs, pan roasted striped bass, cold water lobster cakes, baby chicken wrapped in house pancetta with grappa soaked apricots, and even pork and beans made with pork belly and shoulder and braised butter beans.
Executive chef Brian Archibald studied at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco and has worked at Daniel restaurant in New York, the Phoenician in Scottsdale, Ariz., and most recently at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel.
Thomas Gagliardi is the hotels corporate chef. Gagliardi has worked at the Bellagio in Las Vegas and the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa in California. He also has opened two five-star hotels in Dubai.
Rosso will be open 6:30 to 10 a.m. for breakfast and 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for lunch daily, and from 5:30 to 10 p.m. for dinner Sunday through Thursday, and from 5:30 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
The red/black/gray decor has floor-to-ceiling windows, cushy club-style banquettes and a bar area with white chandeliers and mosaic tile. It also has a more private dining area seating about a dozen people by its wine wall.
As for the hotel, it has 132 luxury units, including nine suites and a presidential suite with a private terrace.
Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza is part of the Plaza Vista development. The office-hotel-retail project also includes the Polsinelli law firm, which has been moving 450 employees to the complex from its former downtown and Plaza offices this month.
To reach Joyce Smith, call 816-234-4692 or send email to email@example.com. Follow on her on Facebook and Twitter at JoyceKC.