High schools

Defensive stand in OT propels St. Pius X to victory

Updated: 2013-10-19T11:51:07Z


Special to The Star

It was a slippery, mud-stained game, and each penalty, turnover or possession change seemed like it would be the difference.

But it was a two-point conversion attempt stuffed in overtime that finally ended it as St. Pius X outlasted rival O’Hara 21-20 Friday at home.

The Celtics elected to go for the win after quarterback Michael Briggs scored on a 2-yard keeper, but St. Pius X stopped Larry Boswell on his first and second efforts at the goal line, putting an end to a heated, penalty-filled game played with the temperature in the upper 30s.

“Our kids were so beat up, we wanted to make sure we had a chance to win it,” O’Hara coach Jim DeMarea said of the choice to go for two. “We had momentum behind us.”

Instead, it was the 2-yard overtime TD run by Warriors’ quarterback Marshall Mason—and Daniel Hoambrecker extra point—that won it for St. Pius X, 4-4.

St. Pius X held on after giving up a 14-0 halftime lead and just missed getting the dramatic win in regulation.

Hoambrecker’s 31-yard field goal off high snap and a muddy placement was on target, but it bounced off the crossbar with 9 seconds left in the game.

O’Hara, 4-4, overcame two apparent touchdowns called back by holding penalties, using a pair of St. Pius X turnovers to tie the game 14-14 early in the fourth.

Bosworth’s 14-yard run with 1:15 left in the third made it 14-7 as O’Hara capitalized on a tipped Mason pass intercepted by Austin Evans.

Gerard Harker evened the score 30 seconds into the fourth with an 18-yard TD run that capped a drive ignited by a Warriors fumble.

With both offenses mired by the field conditions in the first half, St. Pius X relied on field position to do its damage.

Nicholas Kelliher 41-yard punt return put the Warriors inside the O’Hara 20 for the first time in the final minute of the first quarter.

On fourth-and-three at the O’Hara 10, Mason’s fade to the back left corner of the end zone was corralled by the outstretched right hand of towering 6-foot-7 tight end Kyle Deters, putting the Warriors ahead 7-0 with 10:31 left in the first half.

St. Pius X needed just three plays to score in the final minute of the half after recovering an O’Hara fumble—the first turnover of the game—at the Celtics 31. Gabe Akalugwu scored on a 6-yard run with 53 seconds left in the half.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here