- You mightve seen what happened to the Texans today. The schedule really is opening up.
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star
- The pass rush was overwhelming, forcing Terrelle Pryor into bad decisions and generally instilling an element of panic in the Raiders. False starts, delays of game. As much as the Chiefs need to score more points on offense -- and they do -- if youre playing against the Chiefs youre probably freaked out about this defense.
- And ... this offense, man. Theyll need to be better. Like your boy wrote here.
- Alex Smith missed some throws that hes hit this season, and throws that he needs to hit to be what the Chiefs traded for. This is three underwhelming games in a row for him. Three times in a row hes played his worst game of the season. Good weather today, too.
- Then again, I guess its possible that the defense is just so good the offense just needs to not give up touchdowns.
- Yes, the Chiefs struggles against scrambling quarterbacks is a thing. But even so, Pryor made a lot of nice plays.
^ UPDATE: I wrote that sentence before his terrible, gawd-awful, horrendous decision and throw in the third quarter. Chiefs had good pressure on the play, but jeez guy, eat it or throw it away. Dont lob it down the middle the of the field.
- This will be the first of these insta-reactions where I dont talk about Jamaal Charles being right that his toughness is underrated (oops), but I will say that Andy Reid and Doug Pederson seem to want to test that toughness. Hes the AFCs leading rusher and the Chiefs leading receiver (by far), and instead of finding ways to ease off the gas the Chiefs give Charles two carries at the end of the first half. Sure, he might break a long one. But realistically, youre just giving the Raiders two extra chances to hit him.
- Im looking forward to watching this game again, but I didnt see Dwayne Bowe open a whole lot.
- Ive talked here and other places about the giant horseshoe that seems to be lodged up the Chiefs collective rear, but they caught another major break in the first half when a bad offsides penalty on a Raiders punt attempt put Oakland into field goal range. Janikowskis kick was short whens the last time you saw that? so the Chiefs got about 35 extra yards of field position by committing a dumb penalty.
- Branden Alberts injury, and the rightful concern it creates, reminds me that Im old enough to remember when everyone wanted him to switch positions so Eric Fisher could play right tackle.
- Marcus Cooper got beat badly on Oaklands touchdown, the 39-yard slant to Moore. But he otherwise played a hell of a game. Oakland challenged him often, and Cooper was in great position.
- With the Guinness record is hand, Arrowhead beat the Raiders as much as the Chiefs did. Very, very loud and throughout all four quarters. That synergy between team and crowd is back, and thats a season-changer.