Direct from Paris to Overland Park comes a life-sized model of an 18-year-old, 60-foot-long, 11-foot-tall female Mamenchisaurus.
She’s the star of “The World’s Largest Dinosaurs Exhibition,” which opened Tuesday and runs through Jan. 2, 2014.
It’s the first exhibit for the Museum of Prairiefire, which just couldn’t wait until its May 2014 opening on the east side of the new Prairiefire development and has set up temporarily on the center’s west side at 6285 W. 135th St.
It will offer exhibits by the American Museum of Natural History in New York. The World’s Largest Dinosaurs Exhibition is divided into 15 content sections, including a life-sized heart model and an interactive dig pit.
The exhibition’s hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday. The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and younger.
Old Leawood post office gets new tenant
A restaurateur spent nearly a year trying to open Slab-N-Pickle BBQ in the former post office at 3500 W. 95th St., Leawood, before neighboring residents nixed that plan.
Now an urgent care facility, CareSpot, plans to open in the building in December. It will be the fourth area urgent care center for the Nashville, Tenn., company.
Area residents had complained about the noise and traffic a restaurant would bring to the spot. So the site was rezoned in late 2012 to allow for “light retail businesses” or medical outpatient, delivery services and school use. Taverns, packaged liquor sales, a laundry or a convenience store were ruled out.
According to the city of Leawood, space is still available for another tenant in the building.
Updates for Leawood’s Park Place
Several new tenants are opening in Leawood’s Park Place.
• A Bella Bridesmaid franchise is moving from Brookside to 5210 W. 116th Place. It plans an early December opening. Bella Bridesmaid was formed in 2000 to provide “stylish, wearable and chic” bridesmaid dresses. It began franchising in 2006, and Danielle Suarez and Megan Allen opened the Brookside shop in 2009.
In other Park Place updates:
• 801 Fish plans to open later this month at 11615 Rosewood. Parent company 801 Restaurant Group, also owns 801 Chophouse and Pig & Finch gastropub in Park Place.
• Romanelli Sun Galleria, from the owners of Romanelli Optix, plans a December opening at 5261 W. 116th Place. The shop will sell 50 to 60 types of luxury and active wear/sport sunglasses.
• The Casual Male XL store at 8721 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, will move to 9702 Quivira Road, Lenexa, and convert to the company’s Destination XL format in late November. It offers more than 100 brands in men’s sizes starting at XL, along with tall sizes.
• Toys R Us Express has opened a seasonal store at the Legends Outlets Kansas City, 1813 Village West Parkway, Suite R-116.
• Disney Store will celebrate its grand reopening in Oak Park Mall at 95th Street and Quivira Road in Overland Park on Saturday. The store will have more interactive experiences and new features such as the Disney Princess Castle.
To reach Joyce Smith, call 816-234-4692 or send email to email@example.com. Follow her on Facebook and Twitter at JoyceKC.