- I guess we all have to acknowledge this, but the Chiefs threw downfield more than they have in any game this year. Thats a good thing.
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star
- The Titans arent a great offensive team, and Ryan Fitzpatrick SUCKS how bad were the Chiefs last year to turn him into Dan Marino? but give the Chiefs credit for holding strong on four straight snaps at the 1.
- The game momentarily got away from the Chiefs when they couldnt keep Fitzpatrick in the pocket, which is just a really strange thing to type.
- Basically, the Chiefs had the game won at halftime, screwed it up in the third and then won it again in the fourth. Its like they went 2-1 on the day.
- On Chris Johnsons 49-yard catch-and-run, he was actually in protection on the play. He went to the ground trying to block Derrick Johnson, and DJ sort of left him when Fitz started to scramble. Chris Johnson got up, took a short pitch from Fitzpatrick, and ran all over the field and eventually into the end zone^.
^ UPDATE: Heres Derrick Johnsons view of the play: Thats my fault. A player like myself, you get nosey. Chris Johnson was just trying to block me. He wasnt going out for a route. I just stayed on him a little bit, Fitzpatrick started running around and -- here, DJ makes a frustrated sound, like, AAARRRGH -- I just kind of left him and they made a good play. In that situation, I know next time, just stay with your guy until he crosses that line (of scrimmage).
- Another game, another mismatch for Dontari Poe. This one was against Titans center Rob Turner, who deservedly had a lot of help on nearly every snap.
- Another game, another reminder that Jamaal Charles is right he doesnt get enough credit for his toughness. You dont see the first guy drag him down too often, and the play where he fumbled, well, you wouldnt be the only one to see that and think his knee was blown again.
- Chiefs caught some breaks in this one, and not just with Jake Lockers injury. The touchdown in the first quarter, obviously, was a gift of fortune when the punt bounced off a Titans blocker and Marcus Cooper recovered in the end zone. Also, Alterraun Verner dropped two interceptions, including one he mightve returned for a touchdown.
- They also caught a break on that late hit called on Alex Smith in the fourth quarter. I guess this is how the NFL wants it, but Smiths last step before the hit was in bounds. Big play.
- For whatever reason, I dont think the best replay on the Eric Berry holding call was shown on TV. They showed it in the stadium, and it was the right call.
- I dont think Ive ever seen Dustin Colquitt shank a punt like that, and Im not sure I ever will again.
- Alex Smith really, really struggled. His worst game of the season, by far.
- Ill need to watch it again, but didnt seem like Derrick Johnson made as many plays as weve become used to seeing him make.
- But, once again, the defense made the plays it needed. Marcus Cooper made the play of the game with that interception, just overpowering Nate Washington.
- I dont know how far you can get in todays NFL like this, but I guess you can get to at least 5-0.