As the Blue Valley Northwest football players milled about their locker room during Thursday’s rain delay, athletic director Steve Harms was on his smart phone.
By DAVID BOYCE
Special to The Star
Harms was checking the weather, talking with other administrators and coming up with a contingency plan if a second band of rain moved in.
By the 6:30 p.m. kickoff time at the District Activity Center, Harms decided to postpone the game. The only decision left was rescheduling, which came down to Saturday at the District Activity Center or at 7 p.m. Friday at Bishop Miege.
Even though the Huskies are giving up their home site, Blue Valley Northwest coach Mike Zegunis said it was best for his team to play Friday.
“You hate losing a home game, but it is better for our kids because we turn around and play next Thursday,” Zegunis said. “To play Saturday and then turn around and play next Thursday is tough. We have another day of recovery, and that will help us for next Thursday.”
The game was officially postponed at 6:45 p.m. as dark storm clouds rolled in. When Harms was asked if the game could have been played after the second band moved through, he shook his head emphatically, indicating no way.
He was right. The second storm had a monsoon quality to it. It struck at 7 p.m. when the stadium was cleared and the parking lot was nearly empty.
“We made the decision based on the safety of the players,” Harms said.
If it had been left to the players, the Huskies probably would have elected to play in the rain.
Blue Valley Northwest, 1-1, was ready to take on East Kansas League foe, Miege, which is 2-0.
Senior wide receiver Jaquwan Stone was definitely ready to play at home.
“I’m very disappointed, because I was very excited to play today,” Stone said. “I was looking forward to it. It’s a downer. The whole team was excited to play. But once we saw the clouds come in, we knew it was about to be canceled.”
Both teams went through their pregame drills. Some of the drills were cut short when a lightning bolt was detected at 6:10 p.m. The players left the field and fans were asked to move out of the stands.
“It is tough when you come out and you get mentally prepared and you go through all your warm-ups,” Zegunis said. “I guess the good thing is the other team has to go through the same thing, too. You just got to adjust. I know our guys will be excited to play tomorrow (Friday) night.”
It doesn’t matter to Stone that the game is now at Miege.
“Wherever we go, we are going to go out and play our best and try to dominate,” Stone said. “Of course, we are going to be ready. We are always ready.”