Blue Springs, Lee's Summit West, Fort Osage and Liberty North top the Week 2 power rankings.
By SAM McDOWELL
The Kansas City Star
You might notice some of these look just a tad different than my preseason predictions. Oops.
Here's to second chances...
SUBURBAN GOLD CONFERENCE
1. Blue Springs (2-0, 0-0): Wildcats offense clicking entering Friday showdown with Rockhurst
2. Liberty (2-0, 1-0): Opened conference play with convincing 47-14 win against Raymore-Peculiar
3. Lee's Summit (2-0, 0-0): Tigers can put up points. Can they stop opponents from doing the same?
4. Blue Springs South (1-1, 0-0): Jaguars need solution to slow-starting offense. And fast.
5. Lee's Summit North (2-0, 0-0): One of early-season pleasant surprises faces test Friday in Liberty
6. Raymore-Peculiar (1-1,0-1): Seeking bounce-back game Friday against Blue Springs South
SUBURBAN RED CONFERENCE
1. Lee's Summit West (2-0, 1-0): Titans have been as impressive as any team in Missouri
2. Park Hill (1-1, 0-1): A distant second place, but Trojans are better than 2012
3. St. Joseph Central (1-1, 0-0): Rushing combo of Derek Gray, Jacob Kaiser is dangerous
4. Park Hill South (0-2, 0-0): Panthers' schedule eases up some over next three weeks
5. Ruskin (0-2, 0-0): Eagles have been outscored 77-6 over two weeks
6. Truman (0-2, 0-0): In Week 3, Patriots still searching for first points of the season
SUBURBAN WHITE CONFERENCE
1. Fort Osage (2-0, 0-0): Indians still playing physically dominating brand of football
2. Staley (1-1, 1-0): After loss to LS West, earned a bounce-back win against Raytown
3. North Kansas City (1-1, 1-0): Hornets can score with the best of them
4. Raytown (0-2, 0-0): Bluejays played Lee's Summit, Staley tough but came up empty
5. Belton (0-2, 0-0): Spread offense showing early-season signs of life but defense must improve
6. William Chrisman (0-2, 0-0): Doesn't get any easier for Bears with Friday's trip to Staley
7. Oak Park (0-2, 0-1): As was the case last year, Northmen need to play more physical
SUBURBAN BLUE CONFERENCE
1. Liberty North (2-0, 0-0): Eagles have posted back-to-back shutouts but will be tested Friday at Fort Osage
2. Winnetonka (1-1, 1-0): Griffins bounced back nicely for 41-27 win against Raytown South
3. Platte County (1-1, 0-0): Turnovers doomed Pirates in loss to St. Joseph last week
4. Kearney (1-1, 0-0): Offense putting up points but defense still searching for answers
5. Grandview (2-0, 0-0): Bulldogs can prove they're for real Friday when they host Winnetonka
6. Raytown South (0-2, 0-0): Cardinals need something positive Friday against Kearney
To reach Sam McDowell, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him at twitter.com/SamMcDowell11.