WAMEGO, Kan. — A dog is credited with saving its owner from a northeast Kansas house fire that authorities are investigating as arson.
The Associated Press
The Manhattan Mercury reports that the fire happened before dawn Friday in Wamego. The home's sole occupant says that after being awoken by the dog, he heard the sound of the smoke detectors. The man managed to exit through the smoke, but the dog died.
Officials from the Kansas State Fire Marshal's Office and local fire personnel say it appears the fire started on the front porch. That's why the fire is being investigated as an aggravated arson.