ST. JOSEPH — The Chiefs issued their first depth chart of training camp in advance of Friday night’s preseason opener against the Saints in New Orleans. Here are some thoughts:
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
• The depth chart for the most part reflects how the Chiefs have lined up during training camp. The only real argument I have is at tight end, where Travis Kelce is listed as second-team and Tony Moeaki is listed as a third-stringer behind starter Anthony Fasano. Moeaki has been getting more snaps with the first team than Kelce.
• For those Chiefs fans hoping for a demotion for Jon Baldwin, keep waiting. He’s listed as one of the starting wide receivers.
• Veteran Akeem Jordan is listed as one of the starting inside linebackers over rookie Nico Johnson. But Johnson is getting some of those snaps and could win the starting job by the time the regular season begins.
• The Chiefs have six rookies listed as either a starter or a second-teamer, five on offense. They might have had a seventh if safety Sanders Commings was healthy. He broke his collarbone early in training camp.
• Many times teams will defer to the veteran over the rookie on the depth chart, even though the rookie clearly has the edge on the field. But the Chiefs accurately listed rookie Tyler Bray and Ricky Stanzi as the third and fourth quarterbacks, respectively.
Here is the depth chart, going two deep:
Wide receiver: Jon Baldwin, Donnie Avery
Left tackle: Brandon Albert, Donald Stephenson
Left guard: Jeff Allen, Matt Reynolds
Center: Rodney Hudson, Eric Kush
Right guard: Jon Asamoah, Ryan Durand
Right tackle: Eric Fisher, Geoff Schwartz
Tight end: Anthony Fasano, Travis Kelce
Wide receiver: Dwayne Bowe, Dexter McCluster
Quarterback: Alex Smith, Chase Daniel
Running back: Jamaal Charles, Knile Davis
Fullback: Anthony Sherman, Braden Wilson
Left end: Tyson Jackson, Allen Bailey
Nose tackle: Dontari Poe, Jerrell Powe
Right end: Mike Devito, Anthony Toribio
Left outside linebacker: Justin Houston, Frank Zombo
Left inside linebacker: Akeem Jordan, Nico Johnson
Right inside linebacker: Derrick Johnson, Zac Diles
Right outside linebacker: Tamba Hali, Edgar Jones
Left cornerback: Brandon Flowers, Jalil Brown
Right cornerback: Sean Smith, Dunta Robinson
Strong safety: Eric Berry, Quintin Demps
Free safety: Kendrick Lewis, Husain Abdullah
Punter: Dustin Colquitt, Ryan Succop
Place-kicker: Ryan Succop, Dustin Colquitt
Kick offs: Ryan Succop, Dustin Colquitt
Long snapper: Thomas Gafford, Brad Madison
Holder: Dustin Colquitt, Chase Daniel
Punt returner: Dexter McCluster, Devon Wylie
Kick returner: Dexter McCluster, Devon Wylie