LAWRENCE — It will be a sunny and sandy Thanksgiving for the Kansas basketball program.
By RUSTIN DODD
The Kansas City Star
The Jayhawks will open against Wake Forest in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, which begins on Thursday, Nov. 28 in Paradise Island, Bahamas. The bracket for the tournament, which was released Monday, also features a field that includes opening-round games of Villanova-Southern Cal, Xavier-Iowa and Tennessee-UTEP.
KU will begin the three-day tournament against Wake Forest at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. If the Jayhawks advance, they’ll play the winner of Villanova-USC at 8:30 p.m. Friday night. The championship game is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 30, the same day that KU is scheduled to play K-State in football. The football kickoff time has not been announced.
Wake Forest finished 13-18 last season and is coached by former Colorado coach Jeff Bzdelik, who is entering his fourth season on the job. Kansas hasn’t played the Demon Deacons since Dec. 4, 2001, a game that the Jayhawks won 83-76.
Kansas is making its first appearance in the Battle 4 Atlantis field.
NBC Sports Network and AXS TV will televise the tournament field, which boasts a combined 191 NCAA Tournament appearances, 25 Final Four appearances and five NCAA Championships.
Battle 4 Atlantis first round – Thursday, Nov. 28
• Villanova vs. USC, noon (AXS TV)
• Kansas vs. Wake Forest, 2:30 p.m. (AXS TV)
• Xavier vs. Iowa, 6 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
• Tennessee vs. UTEP, 8:30 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
Battle 4 Atlantis second round – Friday, Nov. 29
• Xavier-Iowa loser vs. Tennessee-UTEP loser, noon (AXS TV)
• Villanova-USC loser vs. KU-Wake Forest loser, 2:30 p.m. (AXS TV)
• Xavier-Iowa winner vs. Tennessee-UTEP winner, 6 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
• Villanova-USC winner vs. KU-Wake Forest winner, 8:30 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
Battle 4 Atlantis final round – Saturday, Nov. 30
• Seventh-place game, noon (AXS TV)
• Fifth-place game, 2:30 p.m. (AXS TV)
• Third-place game, 6 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
• Championship, 8:30 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)