Hard to believe it’s nearly here, but Chiefs training camp kicks off Friday, July 26 and runs through Aug. 14 on the Missouri Western campus in St. Joseph, Mo.
The Kansas City Star
One big change for camp this year is that most practices will take place in the mornings, rather than the afternoon. That should make for a cooler experience — yes, we’re talking in terms of temperature here — for both players and fans alike.
All outdoor practices are open to the public unless there’s inclement weather. In that case, the team moves indoors and closes is session to the public.
The entire team will sign autographs following Friday’s 3:30 p.m. practice on July 26. Missouri Western will charge a $5 admission fee (free for children 3 and under) for this practice session. Unless otherwise noted, attendance at all other outdoor training camp practices is free, though Missouri Western charges a $5 parking fee per car per day.
The Chiefs’ American Family Fun Day takes place during the day on Saturday, Aug. 3 (see details below). That, too, is different, as it used to be an evening event. Admission is free of charge and the entire team will sign autographs following practice.
Walkthrough practices, held most afternoons, are closed to the public.
Remember to pack water, sunscreen and a Sharpie (for autograph-seeking — groups of players will sign following each practice session), and check out these additional tips to ensure a memorable experience.
• From the South: Take Interstate 29 North to Highway 36 East (Exit 46A). Take Highway 36 East to S. Riverside Road. Turn left on S. Riverside Road. Follow S. Riverside Road to Mitchell Ave. Turn left on Mitchell Ave. to SW University Drive. Turn right on SW University Drive to Downs Drive. Turn right or left onto Downs Drive and follow to Lot H for general admission parking.
• From the North: Take Interstate 29 South to Frederick Ave. (Exit 47). Turn right on Frederick Ave. to N. Woodbine Road. Turn left on N. Woodbine Road to Faraon Street. Turn left on Faraon Street to James McCarthy Drive. Turn right on James McCarthy Drive. Follow James McCarthy Drive to Lot H for general admission parking.
• From the West: Take Highway 36 East to S. Belt Highway (Highway 169). Turn left onto S. Belt Highway (Highway 169) to Mitchell Ave. Turn right on Mitchell Ave to SW University Drive. Turn left on SW University Drive to Downs Drive. Turn left on Downs Drive and follow to Lot H for general admission parking.
• From the East: Take Highway 36 West to S. Riverside Road. Turn right on S. Riverside Road to Mitchell Ave. Turn left on Mitchell Ave. to SW University Drive. Turn right on SW University Drive to Downs Drive. Turn right or left onto Downs Drive and follow to Lot H for general admission parking.
Mileage to training camp from:
• Arrowhead Stadium: 61.4 miles/1 hour 3 minutes.
• Downtown Kansas City: 54.6 miles/1 hour 1 minute.
• Kansas City International Airport: 38.4 miles/39 minutes.
• Overland Park, Kan.: 62.1 miles/1 hour 3 minutes.
• Independence, Mo.: 64.8 miles/1 hour 6 minutes.
• Lawrence, Kan.: 76.8 miles/1 hour 12 minutes.
• Lee’s Summit, Mo.: 76.4 miles/1 hour 15 minutes.
• American Family Fun Day: From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Missouri Western’s Spratt Memorial Stadium, boys and girls in grades 3-8 can participate in on-field football drills and a skills challenge led by members of the Missouri Western football team. Participants also will be instructed in the importance of hydration during physical activities. The event will conclude at approximately 12:30 p.m. Admission is free and the first 100 participants will receive two free tickets to the Chiefs’ Aug. 16 game against the San Francisco 49ers.
• Rock climbing wall: Test your mountaineering skills.
• Training Camp Kids Zone inflatable toys: The Blaster, Bounce House, Quarterback and Kicker Station.
• Gatorade Junior Training Camp: Part of American Family Fun Day on Aug. 3; see below.
• Helmet Walk: Each day, training camp officials will select members of the Chiefs Kids Club or children to carry a player’s helmet back to the locker room door at the conclusion of practice.
Monday: Report day for rookies and quarterbacks.
Tuesday: Practice at 8:45 a.m. (closed to the public).
Wednesday: Practice at 8:45 a.m. (closed to the public).
Thursday: Full squad reports. No public access.
Friday: Practice at 3:30 p.m. ($5 admission fee), autograph session follows.
Saturday, July 27: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Sunday, July 28: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Monday, July 29: Practice at 8:15 a.m. (followed by a full-team autograph session).
Tuesday, July 30: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Wednesday, July 31: No practice.
Thursday, Aug. 1: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 2: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Saturday, Aug. 3: Practice at 8:15 a.m.; American Family Fun Day (includes Gatorade Junior Training Camp; see above, under “Kids activities”) and full-team autograph session.
Sunday, Aug. 4: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Monday, Aug. 5: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 6: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 7: No practice.
Thursday, Aug. 8: Team travel day. No practice.
Friday, Aug. 9: Preseason opener, Chiefs at Saints, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 10: No practice.
Sunday, Aug. 11: Practice at 8:15 a.m. (followed by a full-team autograph session).
Monday, Aug. 12: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 13: Practice at 8:15 a.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 14: Practice at 8:15 a.m. Final day of camp.
Friday, Aug. 16: Preseason Game No. 2, Chiefs vs. 49ers, 7 p.m.