The Kansas City Star
(Moore officially took over as Royals GM on June 8 with the team’s record at 14-43. They finished the season 62-100)
• Top draft pick: Moore is not officially a member of the Royals for the draft, but the team takes P Luke Hochevar with the No. 1 overall pick.
• Big move: Signs free-agent pitcher Gil Meche to five-year, $55 million contract in offseason.
• Quote: “We’re trying to do something for the long haul,” he said during his introductory news conference. “…There are no shortcuts. We’re going to do it with scouting and player development.”
• Top draft pick: 3B Mike Moustakas, No. 2 overall.
• Big move: Buddy Bell departs as manager after the season and Moore hires Trey Hillman from Japan. Moore also signs free-agent outfielder Jose Guillen for three years/$36 million.
• Quote: “We know we’ve made strides,” Moore said in late September. “…We have a number of young players who we know are going to get better.”
• Top draft pick: 1B Eric Hosmer, No. 3 overall.
• Big move: Trades for OF Coco Crisp in the offseason.
• Quote: “That’s it,” Moore said after the season. “We’re at a point now where you will never, ever hear me say again that we have young players who are improving. You will never, ever hear me say again that we are rebuilding. That stuff is over. I’m sick of all that.
“We’re not a young team anymore. We’re not an improving team anymore. There are no more excuses.”
• Top draft pick: P Aaron Crow, No. 12 overall.
• Big move: Zack Greinke wins the Cy Young Award, but there are few other bright spots.
• Quote: “This year’s an example of anything that could go wrong, did go wrong,” Moore said after his contract was extended through 2014 in September.
• Top draft pick: SS Christian Colon, No. 4 overall.
• Big move: Ned Yost takes over for Hillman as manager after 35 games. Greinke is traded in the offseason to the Brewers with SS Yuniesky Betancourt for SS Alcides Escobar, OF Lorenzo Cain and pitchers Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress.
• Quote: Moore said after the season that the payroll will decrease for 2011 by shedding high-priced veterans to save money for when the Royals’ young core of prospects is ready to compete. “That’s the model I’ve always believed in,” he said. “That’s where we need to be. And I think that’s where we’re headed.”
• Top draft pick: OF Bubba Starling, No. 5 overall.
• Big move: Hosmer, Moustakas and P Danny Duffy are called up to the big leagues for the first time.
• Quote: “We’ll be aggressive,” Moore said after the season as the Royals sought to bolster their starting rotation, “but it’s got to make sense. … We can’t regress in one area to try to become a little bit better in another area.”
• Top draft pick: P Kyle Zimmer, No. 5 overall.
• Big move: Traded OF prospect Wil Myers, pitching prospects Mike Montgomery and Odorizzi and another minor-leaguer to the Rays for pitchers James Shields and Wade Davis and IF Elliot Johnson.
• Quote: “When an opportunity comes along when you can acquire a pitcher like James Shields and Wade Davis, we have to do it, because that’s what we’ve committed to our team, we’ve committed to our organization.
“It’s time to start winning games.”
2013: 43-49 (on pace for 76-86)
• Top draft pick: SS Hunter Dozier, No. 8 overall
• Quote: “I look at the talent level on our team,” Moore said Thursday, “and I feel like we’re going to continue to get better. … We’re going to keep expecting our players to get better. There’s a lot of upside to these players individually and collectively as a team.
“… If it’s a player who is going to help us now and for the future, we’ll do it. But we’re not going to abandon the process of what we’re trying to do.”