Breaking News

Officials shut down KC motorcycle club, the site of a fatal shooting

Updated: 2013-06-28T14:39:14Z


The Kansas City Star

City and county officials have shut down a Kansas City motorcycle club where a shooting early Sunday killed a man and wounded eight.

Jackson County’s Drug Abatement Response Team brought city code inspectors and the fire marshal to the building at 1917 Prospect Ave. for an inspection Tuesday.

The fire marshal cited seven violations, including four electrical issues. Others concerned the storage of a gas can inside the building, lack of an inspection tag on a fire extinguisher and non-working smoke detectors.

The fire marshal shut off electricity to the building until the owner corrects the problems using a licensed electrician, according to the inspection report. The fire marshal also notified the building’s owner that the maximum occupancy is 49.

The owner, who refused to provide his name to The Star when reached by phone, said the violations were small, such as not having outlets covered, and nearly all the violations had been fixed. He said he began renting the building to the Redline Riders motorcycle club about a year ago after the club approached him and said it was a nonprofit group working toward nonviolence.

Because of the recent problems, the owner said, he probably will seek a beautician or barber for his next tenant.

Police accompanied the inspectors Tuesday and cited the motorcycle club with running a nuisance business, said Sgt. Brad Dumit, who supervises the vice unit. He said the ordinance violation included allegations of blocking the street and sidewalk and playing loud music late at night.

View Larger Map

The club drew the attention of police and city and county officials after the 3:30 a.m. melee Sunday that started inside the club. When officers arrived, they saw 250 to 300 people fleeing.

Police say many of the people were not inside the club but were nearby along Prospect Avenue. Club patrons told police they paid a cover charge and gave donations to buy beer.

A disturbance between two or more people inside the club led to a gunman opening fire in the cramped quarters, said Sgt. Joe Mabin. The dispute spread outside, where more than one gunman continued to fire, Mabin said. The bullets killed Marlon E. Randolph, 23, and critically wounded a teenage girl, who was shot in the head.

Detectives still don’t know exactly what kicked off the dispute. They continue to look for witnesses.

Anyone with information should call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (8477).

To reach Christine Vendel, call 816-234-4438 or send email to

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here