Cornerback Javier Arenas occupies a unique place in Chiefs history. He’s the player the Chiefs selected with the 2010 second-round NFL Draft pick they acquired from Atlanta by trading tight end Tony Gonzalez.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Wednesday’s trade that sent Arenas to the Arizona Cardinals in return for fullback Anthony Sherman guarantees the Gonzalez deal will be Arenas’ legacy.
Arenas played four seasons for the Chiefs, or not as many as Gonzalez has played for the Falcons. He was their nickel back and punt returner for much of that time, but Arenas had little impact in either area.
He became a starter along with Brandon Flowers midway through last season but was crowded out of any realistic shot at playing time in 2013 by the Chiefs’ recent free-agent signings of veteran cornerbacks Dunta Robinson and Sean Smith.
The Chiefs meanwhile now have a crowd at fullback. Patrick DiMarco, last year’s regular, returns. The Chiefs also selected Braden Wilson of Kansas State in the sixth round of the draft last week.
The 5-feet-10, 242-pound Sherman was drafted from Connecticut by the Cardinals in the fifth round in 2011. He started 11 games for Arizona in two seasons, but was mostly a blocker and special teams player. He had just one rushing attempt and caught 13 passes.
The Chiefs also announced the 13 players they signed as undrafted rookie free agents:
• QB Tyler Bray, Tennessee: Bray (6-6, 232) threw for 7,444 yards and 69 touchdowns for the Vols.
• LB Darin Drakeford, Maryland: Drakeford (6-1, 240) started only games over his career at Maryland.
• DB Otha Foster, West Alabama: Foster (6-0, 204) played two seasons in junior college before transferring
• WR Frankie Hammond Jr., Florida: Hammond (6-1, 184) caught 63 passes for the Gators.
• TE Demitrius Harris, Wisconsin-Milwaukee: Harris (6-7, 230) originally signed to play football at Arkansas State but wound up playing basketball in college.
• G A.J. Hawkins, Mississippi: Hawkins (6-1, 310) played right guard and center for the Rebels.
• OL Colin Kelly, Oregon State: Kelly (6-5, 298) started 25 games in college.
• DE Rob Lohr, Vanderbilt: Lohr (6-4, 290) had 11 sacks for the Commodores.
• DL Brad Madison, Missouri: Madison (6-4, 265) had 16 sacks for the Tigers.
• LB/DE Josh Martin, Columbia: Martin (6-3, 245) is the second Ivy League rookie for the Chiefs, joining seventh-round draft pick Mike Catapano.
• S Brad McDougald, Kansas: McDougald (6-1, 209) played on both sides of the ball for the Jayhawks.
• WR Rico Richardson, Jackson State: Richardson (6-1, 185) caught 130 passes in college.
• LB/DE Ridge Wilson, West Alabama: Wilson (6-4, 256) played in 32 games in college.
The Chiefs will have several more undrafted free-agent players participating in next weekend’s rookie minicamp on a tryout basis, without a contract, including former Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist.