About 20 homes in the Brookside area were evacuated late Wednesday night as utility crews investigated a gas leak.
The gas leak was contained, however, and crews were beginning to make repairs by about 10:30 p.m., said Jason Fulp, Missouri Gas Energy spokesman.
A third-party contractor ruptured a 2-inch plastic gas line earlier Wednesday evening near 64th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. MGE crews, working with Kansas City firefighters, evacuated the residents from homes served by the ruptured line. Those customers were expected to be without natural gas service as repairs are being made, Fulp said.
It’s not known which contractor ruptured the line, Fulp said.
Some residents were being allowed back into their residences after 10:30 p.m., but only after firefighters took readings and verified that natural gas levels had dissipated, said James Garrett, Kansas City Fire Department spokesman.
“We are being very cautious,” Garrett said.
American Red Cross dispatchers were monitoring the situation, but no Red Cross personnel had been dispatched, said Jamie Dierking, American Red Cross regional communications manager.
Brian Burnes, firstname.lastname@example.org