The incumbent in this Ward 2 Raymore City Council race hasn't been in his position very long.
By KATHLEEN POINTER
Special to The Star
Derek Moorhead was appointed to the council in late 2012 when then-councilman Jeff Cox was elected to the Cass County Commission and vacated his seat.
Moorhead was put in place pending Tuesday’s election, when Ward 2 constituents will choose between Moorhead and challenger Thomas Circo to decide who finishes the rest of Cox’s term. The winner will serve for one year.
Councilman Ryan Wescoat also represents this ward and he, too, is up for re-election. The second ward is near the center of the city.
• Age: 44
• Address: 103 Johnston Parkway
• Occupation: Partner at Derek Moorhead, Attorney At Law; lecturer at the University of Central Missouri; lecturer at Washburn University School of Law
• Education: Law degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City; bachelor's in political science from what’s now Avila University
• Public experience: Appointed to the Raymore City Council in December 2012; Raymore Planning and Zoning Commission from 2011-2012
• Stances: With the expansion of Interstate 49 and the construction of the North Cass Parkway exit, Raymore will have to manage development of this new corridor while preserving its suburban community feel. He would like more community connectivity, possibly through a community center.
Circo did not respond to inquiries from The Star.