Parades, pub crawls and parties? Is that what St. Patrick would do?
By JENEÉ OSTERHELDT
The Kansas City Star
Doubtful. Were talking about a celebrated patron saint and national apostle of Ireland. Hed be in church. But like a lot of holidays, St. Patricks Day has gone pop. Despite its religious roots, St. Patricks Day is now green Mardi Gras and Kiss Me Im Irish T-shirts. Even on a Sunday.
Kansas City hasno shortage of events. Weve been celebrating since last weekend, and the party only continues. (Check out our St. Paddys Day event guide here) But good fortune is what you make it, and there are a lot of ways to get three-leaf clover lucky in our city.
• Lucky Mustache: To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Shatto Milk is rolling out five limited-edition flavors this year. We saw Smooch, a chocolate cherry milk, last month. Now, just in time for St. Patricks Day, we get Lucky. The mint chocolate milk is bottled in an exclusive Lucky bottle (only 2,000 were created) but dont shred your shamrocks if you miss out. The flavor will be sold at Shatto retailers in regular bottles ($1.99) while supplies last.
• Lucky Date: Looking for a St. Paddys date that doesnt entail bangers and mash? Try Panache Chocolatier, 418 Nichols Road. The Plaza candy store offers shamrocks, leprechaun hats and gold coins ($3-$4) handcrafted of rich, silky chocolate. So get your sweets with your sweetheart and enjoy a walk on the Plaza. If youre craving green, try Panaches mint chocolate chip ice cream.
• Lucky Devil: The Kill Devil Club wasnt named one of The 21 Hottest Cocktail Bars Across the U.S. by Eater, an online food magazine, for nothing. This bar serves up a good drink, and for St. Patricks Day it introduces the Lucky Devil, a mojito with green Chartreuse. Not only does the liqueur add color, it brings an herbal twist to the minty drink. It was so strong, I was blushing after just one. Order it for $9 at the Kill Devil Club, 31 E. 14th St. (Or make your own using the bars recipe on this page.)
• Lucky Room: If youre in that Irish green spirit, why not stay at a green hotel? Maybe its not kelly green, but the Q Hotel and Spa is eco-friendly. Not to mention, its in Westport, in the middle of much of the weekends festivities. Be it the St. Patricks Day Parade or the block of bars, why drive when you can walk? Theres even a shuttle service to the Sprint Center and Power & Light District. Call 816-931-0001 for reservations and specials.
• Lucky D: Thats Pauly D, of MTVs Jersey Shore fame. Hes DJing at Miller Lite and Mix 93.3 St. Patricks party at KC Live! in the Power & Light District on Sunday. The free show starts at 1 p.m. In addition to DJ Pauly D, there will be music by the Patrick Lentz Band, Dolewite, Patrick Woolam and the Transients and more. Spray tan optional.
• Lucky Manicure: Festive nails might not be a must, but theyre definitely a fashion plus. At Polished, 1221 Main St, there are a variety of green polishes, but my personal favorite is OPI Gargantuan Green Grape. Get a different color on your ring finger for luck. A basic manicure is $18. Call 816-221-2888 for more information.