How can I fix a crack in my living room wall?

Updated: 2013-03-17T02:23:24Z


Special to The Star

Q I have a problem in my living room, where the wall Sheetrock appears to be separating from the ceiling Sheetrock. It could have happened when an aggressive wallpaper installer (me) cut the new paper through the taped seam, or due to settlement problems.

Regardless, do you have any idea how this can be fixed? I’ve always wanted crown molding, but I hate to cover up an existing problems. — Judy Sturgess, Independence

A Basically, there are two solutions for this problem. Either re-tape and mud the crack or cover the crack with molding.

To re-tape the crack, start by scraping the loose pieces out of the crack. Then cover with drywall mesh tape and patch with joint compound. The patch should not be raised over the crack but should be flush with the wall/ceiling. After the patch is completely dry (24 hours), sand over the area, and you should be ready to paint.

If you do not feel confident in performing this repair yourself, you can find a drywall professional on remodelingkc.com to help you.

Crown molding would be a good option to cover the crack. Since the crack does not appear to be anything structural (most likely the result of the cut tape), you should not expect future issues to come from covering it. Either route you choose will certainly improve the appearance!

Debby Allmon is a certified remodeler and vice president of Schloegel Design Remodel in Kansas City.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!


The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here