Washburn senior guard Will McNeill and Fort Hays’ Mark Johnson were chosen men’s basketball player and coach of the year in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association on Monday.
The Kansas City Star
McNeill was second in the MIAA with 19.5 points per game and led the league 3.1 steals per game, helping the Ichabods to a 12-6 conference record and No. 3 seed in the MIAA Tournament. Johnson’s Fort Hays team is the top seed in the tournament, which started Monday night with four first-round games.
• Player of the year: Washburn senior guard Will McNeill
• Defensive player of the year: Pittsburg State senior guard Marky Nolen
• Freshman of the year: Fort Hays guard Craig Nicholson
• Coach of the year: Fort Hays’ Mark Johnson
• All-MIAA first team: McNeill, Central Missouri senior forward Dominique Long, Central Oklahoma junior forward Josh Gibbs, Fort Hays junior forward Dwayne Brunson and Northeastern State junior guard Bryton Hobbs