Breaking News

Two people apparently dead of CO poisoning in Kansas City, Kan.

Updated: 2013-02-27T02:46:52Z

Two people were killed, apparently by carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a gasoline-powered generator, in their Kansas City, Kan., home.

A 58-year-old man and his 69-year-old sister were found dead shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday by a family member who had not been able to reach them by phone.

Emergency responders found a gas-powered generator running in a basement garage and an extension cord linked to appliances in the home in the 5100 block of Kimball Avenue. The home had been without electric power due to the storm.

Carbon monoxide readings in the garage were 600 parts per million, which is far above what is considered dangerous.

Two small dogs also were found dead in the home.

The names of the siblings were not immediately released.

| Matt Campbell, mcampbell@kcstar.com

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here