Chiefs coach Andy Reid conducted a news conference at the NFLs scouting combine in Indianapolis. Some of the highlights:
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
• On evaluating Matt Cassel and the other quarterbacks on the roster:
Ive had the opportunity to go through and look at the quarterbacks. I think that Scott Pioli did a good job of bringing guys in to give us an opportunity to win games with some of the guys that are there. Again, we are going to go through the whole process of looking at the college kids that are here, free agency and any trade possibilities that come up.
• On whether Dwayne Bowe would play for the Chiefs next season either as the franchise player or with a long-term contract:
We are going through that right now. Free agency kicks off here in a little bit, and we will see what happens before free agency. The main thing is, there is communication there and well just see how it works out over the next few weeks.
• On whether hes spent time looking at the quarterbacks available in the draft:
I have. Ive had an opportunity to start that process and kind of crank through that. Im still in the process right now, but it will be good to meet with a couple of them here. I had a chance to meet with a couple of them down at the Senior Bowl, so well just take it step by step there.
• On how this years group matches up against others:
Youre coming off a phenomenal year of quarterbacks, one that doesnt come around very often, but I would tell you that there are some good players in there.
• On whether the Chiefs would be open to trading the first pick in the draft:
Yeah, were going to evaluate everything. Were just not going to give it away, so wed have to see what people throw our way. Its a pretty valuable pick, Id say.
• On how well Jamaal Charles will fit into his offense:
I think you can probably put him in any offense and hes going to do a heck of a job. Hes a very good running back and there are probably a lot of coaches in this league that would like to have him. Hes a heck of a player. Im not going to change that. Im going to give him an opportunity to do his thing and do what he does best. I look forward to working with him.