Breaking News

House fire injures two in KCK

Updated: 2013-02-21T22:48:28Z

An unattended wood stove may have sparked a Kansas City, Kan., fire that damaged two houses Thursday afternoon.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter suffered knee and hip injuries while fighting the fire in the in the 1200 block of Shawnee Avenue.

When firefighters arrived on the scene just before 3 p.m. Thursday, a homeowner told them that he had just put more wood in his wood stove and went outside to move his car.

When he returned, fire was “all around the stove,” the man reported. The flames ended up causing about $30,000 in damage to that home, and about $15,000 in damage to a house next door, fire officials said.

| Tony Rizzo, trizzo@kcstar.com

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here