• Key play: West Virginias Jabarie Hinds had a steal and basket in the final seconds, cutting KUs halftime lead to 38-30.
• Key stat: KU outrebounded West Virginia 20-12
• Key play: KUs Travis Releford swished a key three-pointer that stretched the lead to 55-46 during a critical stretch in the second half.
• Key stat: Kansas made just 18 of 34 free throws.
So maybe Kansas wasnt exactly playing with the weight of the No. 1 ranking in the latest USA Today/coaches poll. According to senior center Jeff Withey, most of KUs players didnt even realize the Jayhawks were ranked No. 1 in the poll until a reporter brought it up after Mondays game. The Jayhawks, apparently, had seen their No. 2 ranking in The Associated Press poll and moved on.
I thought we were No. 2, Withey said. Obviously, I didnt even know. So theres not much of a reaction.
• Kansas sported all-blue, alternate jerseys on Monday that, predictably, caused a bit of a stir. The numbers and names were hard to see, and the immediate reaction in social-media circles swung toward the negative. The players, however, gave them a thumbs up.
We liked them a lot, Withey said. I dont know if were gonna be wearing them too often, but they were pretty cool.
• West Virginia coach Bob Huggins dropped to 0-5 in his career against the Jayhawks.
| Rustin Dodd, firstname.lastname@example.org