Local News Spotlight

KC files police report on boxer event that never happened

City Hall wants money back from presenter of anti-violence event that never happened.

Updated: 2013-01-24T05:04:49Z

By LYNN HORSLEY

The Kansas City Star

Kansas City fraud detectives are investigating what happened to a $15,000 city check that was issued for an anti-violence youth event that never occurred, police and city officials confirmed Wednesday.

City Manager Troy Schulte said he met with a fraud detective about 10 days ago and a report has been filed with the police fraud unit alleging stealing through deceit.

The report notes that the city paid $15,000 for a boxer to appear at an event, but an individual “failed to produce the fighter or return the money paid to produce the event upon demand.” The person’s name is blacked out of the report because no charges have been filed, but police confirmed that the investigation is continuing.

City officials previously acknowledged that a $15,000 check was issued to Ossco Bolton and his anti-violence POSSE program to bring Las Vegas boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. to Kansas City for a youth mentoring event Dec. 8. The event never occurred, and the city sent a letter Dec. 11 asking that the money be returned by Dec. 20. It was not.

Bolton did not respond to a phone call or email message Wednesday. But in late November, he told The Star that he decided to cancel the Dec. 8 event because Mayweather’s domestic violence background had prompted a public backlash. He said he planned to bring a different boxing mentor to Kansas City in February.

From late December until Wednesday, POSSE’s website advertised that the boxer’s father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., was coming to Kansas City Feb. 8 and 9, and it displayed a city logo. City Attorney Bill Geary sent a letter Jan. 3 telling Bolton to cease using the logo without permission, and that portion of the website has now been taken down and the date has been deleted.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. said in a telephone interview from Las Vegas last week that he now plans to come to Kansas City in April. He said he had been paid some money, but he declined to say how much or by whom.

He also said he didn’t want to get in the middle of any dispute with the city.

Schulte said Wednesday that the city is pursuing multiple options.

“We’re seeing what steps the law department can do in terms of getting the money back,” he said.

Schulte said Bolton had done some “great anti-gang” work with the city in the past, but that relationship has now soured and the city would not be working with him or his organization again.

To reach Lynn Horsley, call 816-226-2058 or send email to lhorsley@kcstar.com.

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here