• Key play: Jordan Henriquez put the Cats up 30-28 with 3:37 to play on a three-point play.
• Key stat: The Wildcats shot 68.7 percent from the field.
• Key play: Shane Southwell blocked Gary Browne’s layup attempt as time expired.
• Key stat: West Virginia made 12 of 22 free throws for the game.
McGruder close to home
It wasn’t as nice as playing in his hometown of Washington D.C., but for senior guard Rodney McGruder, it was close. He played in front of his immediate family on Saturday, with several other friends and relatives making the three-hour drive to Morgantown.
• West Virginia played without starting guard Juwan Staten. Coach Bob Huggins elected not to play him for off-court reasons. Gary Browne started in his place, scoring seven points and grabbing five rebounds.
• Bruce Weber’s playing rotation seems set at eight players, though that number increased to 10 because of foul trouble on Saturday.
• Adrian Diaz briefly played in the second half, but he injured his ankle less than a minute after entering the game and left the floor for treatment. Weber said Diaz should be fine.
| Kellis Robinett, firstname.lastname@example.org