• Key play Angel Rodriguez made a three-pointer while being fouled, pulling K-State within 25-23.
• Key stat: Rodriguez and Will Spradling scored 18 of K-State’s 26 points in the first half.
• Key play: Guy Landry Edi’s three pointer gave Gonzaga a 43-31 lead.
Key stat: Rodney McGruder didn’t score until 9:10 remained.
Williams hurts shoulder
K-State starting forward Nino Williams left the game in the first half because of an injured right shoulder he received while playing defense. Trainers examined Williams’ shoulder in the locker room, and he didn’t return until the second half. He watched the remainder of the game with his arm in a sling.
• The Battle in Seattle was technically played on a neutral court at Key Arena, but Gonzaga benefited from a substantial home-court advantage. The Bulldogs, located across the state in Spokane, brought more than 10,000 fans. K-State had a few supporters behind its bench, but purple shirts were scarce elsewhere.
• Both teams received technical or flagrant fouls in the second half. K-State’s Shane Southwell picked up a flagrant foul while trying to strip the ball on a breakaway layup attempt, and Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk was whistled for a technical for excessive celebration following a one-handed dunk.
| Kellis Robinett, firstname.lastname@example.org