Blue Springs running back Dalvin Warmack learned about the Thomas A. Simone Award when he was a seventh-grader.
By SAM McDOWELL
The Kansas City Star
At the time, Warmack was carrying the ball for the Necco Raiders, coached by Simone’s brother, Charlie, who was eager to share the story of the brother he tragically lost in 1983.
“That’s when I knew that I wanted to win that award in his honor,” Warmack said.
Four years later, it’s his. Warmack was announced Tuesday morning as the second junior to ever win the Simone Award, given to the Kansas City area’s top high school football player. He received the trophy during a ceremony at Blue Springs High School in front of his classmates.
Other award winners:
• Frank Fontana (outstanding player in Class 1-4): Max Mickey, Holden
• Buck Buchanan (outstanding lineman or linebacker): Elijah Lee, Blue Springs
• Bobby Bell (outstanding Class 1-4 lineman or linebacker): Maliek Collins, Center
• Otis Taylor (top wide receiver): Craig Scott, Park Hill South
• Nathan Stiles Inspiration Award: Max Galeassi, Harrisonville
To reach Sam McDowell, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him at twitter.com/SamMcDowell11.