Several Chiefs players spoke about Kasandra Perkins, the 22-year-old woman who linebacker Jovan Belcher shot and killed before taking his own life on Saturday morning. The couple had a three-month-old daughter.
• She was like a sister and thats all Im going to say about that. Its tragic what happened, but weve got to get over it. It happened. We cant go back, so weve got to just move forward.
| Cornerback Brandon Flowers
• Its a deep pain you have. God has a purpose and plan for everything. We may not know why it happened, but its part of life. We have to come together as a brotherhood.
| Cornerback Jalil Brown
• Thoughts and prayers to both families affected in this situation.
| Wide reciever Jon Baldwin
• I was thinking about it a lot, because Ive been with Jovan for four years. But you think about the other family too, because Kasandra was just like one of us. We saw her all the time and saw her in the process of her pregnancy. They were definitely on our mind.
| Defensive back Travis Daniels
• Never had any issues with him. In team meetings, he was always laughing, clowning with us. So it shocked us, just like everyone else.
| Linebacker Edgar Jones
• Its been tragic. Ive never felt this way in my life. Jovan was a good teammate, a better friend. Its a shame.
| Linebacker Cory Greenwood
• The Jovan I knew for four years was a great man and good friend. We both had baby girls around the same time. He was a loving father, a proud father. A day doesnt necessarily make a man. Im extremely sad for his family and for Kasandras family and for their daughter.
| Linebacker Andy Studebaker
• Its hard to reconcile the guy you talked to every day and the events that happened yesterday.
| Tackle Eric Winston
• It really hit me this morning, waking up not being able to talk to Jovan. Being the middle backer, the heart of this defense, thats who I talk to all the time.
| Linebacker Derrick Johnson
• Its just been devastating, the tragedy of yesterday. Not only losing a teammate, but also knowing that there was a 22 year-old woman involved and theres a three-month old kid thats not going to grow up knowing her mom and dad and how tragic that really is.
| Quarterback Matt Cassel
• All I know is that there are two families out there, theres a little baby girl out there whos going to get my prayers every day for the rest of my life and thats what is really important to me.
| Linebacker Brandon Siler