Second baseman Chris Getz avoided a possible arbitration case with the Royals by agreeing Friday morning to a one-year deal for $1.05 million.
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
The agreement beat the 11 p.m. deadline for clubs to offer contracts to unsigned players under their control and removed the possibility the Royals might choose to let Getz become a free agent rather than risk an arbitration hearing.
My scenario wasnt very complicated, Getz said. Obviously, this is the place I wanted to be and was willing to make it work. They were as well. Im extremely happy to be back.
Im looking forward to coming to spring training prepared to help a team that is making some positive moves.
Getz, 29, gets a slight raise from $967,500 after an injury-plagued season that limited him to 64 games. The new deal also includes $150,000 in possible performance bonuses.
The Royals now have just one possible arbitration case: right-handed pitcher Luke Hochevar, who made $3.51 million last season and projects, under industry estimates, to make $4.4 million in 2013 through arbitration.
Club officials later confirmed Hochevar and all remaining unsigned players were tendered contracts prior to the deadline.
Getz batted a career-high .275 last season but made three trips to the disabled list due to bruised ribs, a lower leg strain and a broken thumb. The latter was a season-ending injury that occurred Aug. 17, but he is on track to be fully recovered for spring training.
I was in KC from Sunday through Tuesday, Getz said. I did a final little check-up with the doctor, and the trainers. All was good. Ive already begun hitting and catching. It hasnt hindered me at all in my off-season strength-and-conditioning stuff.
Ive got to continue to stretch it and improve the mobility, but thats pretty straight-forward stuff Im due for a clean slate next year.
The Royals roster, as currently constituted, projects a spring battle between Getz and Johnny Giavotella to be the clubs starting second baseman.
Hopefully, Ill go to spring training, win that job and continue from there, Getz said. Obviously, theyre making some positive (off-season) moves with the pitching. Lineup-wise, weve got a lot of good players.
If Im able to continue doing what I was doing last year, I feel I can certainly help.
Getz has a .257 career average and a .314 on-base percentage in 371 games over five seasons. He came to the Royals from the Chicago White Sox in a Nov. 5, 2009 trade with third baseman Josh Fields for utilityman Mark Teahen.
The Royals chose to retain left-hander Ryan Verdugo and catcher Adam Moore by sending them to Class AAA Omaha on outright assignments after they cleared waivers.
Neither had the option of becoming a free agent, but both are eligible for selection next Thursday in the Rule 5 Draft at the winter meetings.
The club also announced it would not offer a contract to outfielder Derrick Robinson, who also cleared waivers, prior to Fridays deadline. The decision means Robinson will become a free agent.
All three players were designated for assignment on Nov. 20.
Verdugo, 25, was 12-4 with a 3.75 ERA at Omaha after joining the Royals with left-hander Jonathan Sánchez in a Nov. 7, 2011 trade that sent outfielder Melky Cabrera to San Francisco. Verdugo gave up six runs in 1 2/3 innings in his only big-league outing.
The Royals acquired Moore, 28, in a July 7 waiver claim from Seattle. He batted .296 with three homers and 22 RBIs in 35 games at Omaha before going two for 11 for the Royals after a late-season promotion.
Robinson, 25, never developed his speed into a reliable skill after turning down a football scholarship to Florida by agreeing to an $850,000 bonus as the clubs fourth-round pick in 2006. He batted .268 last season in 116 games at Omaha.
To reach Bob Dutton, call 816-234-4352 or send email to email@example.com. Follow him at twitter.com/Royals_Report.