A look at how the Royals’ payroll for their 25-man roster is shaping up for Opening Day 2013:
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
The Royals currently have $50.6 million committed in guaranteed salaries to 10 players on their 40-man roster:
• RHP Ervin Santana: $12 million (Angels also paying $1 million)
• OF Alex Gordon: $9 million
• DH Billy Butler: $8 million
• OF Jeff Francoeur: $6.75 million
• RHP Jeremy Guthrie: $5 million
• LHP Bruce Chen: $4.5 million
• SS Alcides Escobar: $3 million
• C Salvy Perez: $1 million
• LHP Noel Arguelles: $750,000
• C Brett Hayes: $600,000
The Royals have three players eligible for arbitration that industry estimates project for a total of $8.3 million:
2B Chris Getz: Made $967,500 in 2012; projected to make $1.2 million in 2013.
RHP Felipe Paulino: Made $1.9 million in 2012; projected to make $2.7 million in 2013.
RHP Luke Hochevar: Made $3.51 million in 2012; projected to make $4.4 million in 2013.
The minimum salary next season is $490,000. Using $550,000 as the average salary of the remaining players, who don’t have arbitration rights, adds another $7.15 million. Factor in replacements for pitchers Danny Duffy and Felipe Paulino, who’ll open the season on the disabled list (but still count toward the club’s Opening Day payroll), and the Royals’ salary for the roster as currently constituted should hover around $66 million to $67 million.