Another day, another list of popular Kansas city restaurants.
This one, released in recent days, comes from Zagat, the restaurant guide people. Editors named 10 restaurants (two with multiple locations) rated highest for food in its most recent survey of Kansas City eateries. It's an eclectic group of high-end and down-home places.
Bragging rights go to:
• Cafe Provence, a French bistro in Prairie Village
• Justus Drugstore, creative American/local food cuisine in Smithville
• Le Fou Frog, the venerable French hideaway east of the City Market
• Cafe Sebastienne, creative American in the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art
• Capital Grille, the high-end steakhouse chain on the Country Club Plaza
• Osteria il Centro, neighborhood Italian at 51st and Main Streets
• J. Gilbert's, Overland Park steakhouse
• Bluestem, creative American in Westport
• Bristol Seafood Grill (downtown and Leawood)
• Oklahoma Joe's, barbecue (three outlets).
Avid eaters may now begin deliberating on favorite restaurants left off this list.
Late last week, three Kansas City area restaurants were included in a list of top 100 eateries serving American cuisine compiled by OpenTable, the online reservation service.
The locals were The American Restaurant, in Crown Center; Bluestem, in Westport; and Story, in Prairie Village. Elsewhere in the two-state area, the list includes Harry's Restaurant in Manhattan, Kan; Baxter's Lakeside Grille in Lake Ozark, Mo.; and Annie Gunn's and Niche in suburban St. Louis.
According to OpenTable, the list was based on reviews -- more than 5 million of them -- submitted by users of the site and spanning some 15,000 restaurants across the country. For the full list:
Another online food site, The Daily Meal, has released a compilation of the "101 Best" food trucks across the country. No Kansas City food-truck purveyor made that list.
| Steve Paul, The Star