• WHEN/WHERE: 4 p.m. Saturday at Mizzou Arena
• TV/RADIO: Metro Sports; KMBZ (980 AM, 98.1 FM)
• ABOUT SIU-EDWARDSVILLE: The Cougars return four starters, including their top three scorers from a team that went 10-17 last season. But it’s worth noting that they did win five of their last eight games, and sixth-year coach Lennox Forrester earned a contract extension. So his team is experienced and headed in the right direction, which means it might be capable of putting up a fight.
• ABOUT MISSOURI: The No. 15 Tigers open the season ranked in the top 25 for the third consecutive year. Last year’s senior-led group — which went 30-5 and won the Big 12 tournament title — will be hard to top, both in terms of their achievement on the court and their overall unselfishness. But if this year’s team — which is bigger and deeper — finds a way to capture some of that same spirit, the Tigers have a chance to make a deep run in March.
• BOTTOM LINE: Missouri beat SIU-Edwardsville 107-57 the last time the two teams met (during the 2008-09 season). The margin won’t be as great this time around — MU has several players still learning how to play together — but the Tigers should still win handily.
| Terez A. Paylor, email@example.com