The fire that destroyed the Comfort Inn in Blue Springs on Friday was caused by a tossed cigarette, officials said.
Assistant Chief Eddie Saffell of the Central Jackson County Fire Protection District said the cigarette ignited mulch in front of the motel and the fire got into a void in the outside wall. It had reached the attic by the time fire crews were called. The Independence and Lee’s Summit fire departments assisted in fighting the blaze, which took several hours to control. There were no injuries in the fire at 1501 N.W. Northridge Drive.
| Matt Campbell, firstname.lastname@example.org