The Morning Kickoff is back from a three-day weekend trip to Chicago and ready to start your day with a collection of stories, opinions, news and videos from around the globe. We scour the Web, you click the link. We're still working on our tagline.
The Kansas City Star
The grass arrived at Livestrong Sporting Park this morning and the two-day process of putting it in is under way. You can watch the process (and watch the stadium actually grow from a gorgeous structure into an actual soccer park) at the team's in-stadium webcam.
• Today is possibly the last day of the Chad Ochocinco-experiement. He played 30 minutes in a reserve game against the KC Brass yesterday and failed to impress.
• ESPN's Chad Ochocinco behind the scenes is worth 6 minutes, if you haven't already seen it.
• Yesterday, it leaked out that Kansas City will host Premiership team Newcastle United this summer. The details haven't been announced, but with this game and the promised game against Chivas de Guadalajara and a 9-game home-stand that stretches from the end of July into September ... you might want to plan on camping out at The Legends there will be so much going on. (Possible issue: Friendlies might mean MLS games get pushed back into the Fall and further complicate KC's schedule.
• Speaking of English teams in the U.S., Manchester United will be coming back to the States this summer. The Red Devils will play the New England Revolution (July 13), Seattle Sounders (July 20), Chicago Fire (July 23), the MLS All-Stars in Red Bull Arena (July 27) and Barcelona in Washington D.C. (July 30). They seem to be ducking KC, who beat them at Arrowhead in July 2010.
• Power ranking updates: MLS has SKC 8th, WV Hooligan drops them to 11th and Goal.com placed KC 9th.
• The U.S. men's team will take on Paraguay tonight at 7 p.m. The game is on the Fox Soccer Channel. The Shin Guardian has a great preview.
• Speaking of the USA, How much patience should we have with Jozy Altidore?
• Colombian soccer fans took a dead body to a football match? Colombian soccer fans took a dead body to a football match.