Stargazing

Kiefer Sutherland's attorney says actor didn't start head-butting brawl

Updated: 2009-05-11T20:11:45Z

An investigation by New York City officials into a charge Kiefer Sutherland head-butted a fashion designer at a nightclub will show the star of TV’s “24” was not a wrongdoer or instigator, his attorney said Monday.

Sutherland was charged Thursday with third-degree assault in the incident a week ago at a nightclub at the trendy Mercer Hotel in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan.

The designer, Jack McCollough of the high-end Proenza Schouler fashion house, claims Sutherland broke his nose after an argument at about 2 a.m. Tuesday. Police are also planning to question actress Brooke Shields as a witness.

Representatives for the three celebrities worked to clear up rumors after initially refusing to comment to the Associated Press.

“We are troubled by the untruthful and self-serving information circulating regarding Kiefer Sutherland and events of last Monday evening,” attorney Michael Miller said in a statement. “Out of respect for this law enforcement process, Kiefer Sutherland will not be making any comment.”

Representatives for McCollough said the designer’s injuries were more serious than what was initially noted on the police report. McCollough’s nose was broken in several places and he had to seek medical treatment after the altercation. The police report says he suffered a cut on his nose.

Shields’ attorney, Gerald Lefcourt, wouldn’t comment on whether she had been interviewed by police in the case. He said that many statements had been falsely attributed to Shields regarding the incident, and were likely made by people not at the scene.

“While at the party, she was bumped into by Jack McCollough and Kiefer Sutherland became concerned,” Lefcourt said in a statement. “Kiefer has always been a gentleman in her company. Both Jack and Kiefer are friends of Ms. Shields and she regrets this unfortunate situation.”

No decision has been made on whether the New York City charge will affect Sutherland’s probation for a drunken-driving conviction in Los Angeles.

|The Associated Press

Deal Saver Subscribe today!

Comments

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Kansas City Star uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here